Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
LordPercy

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:44 am

Only 10 goals, that's a fairly minor contribution!

i_ate_cats

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 am

War for the Planet of the Apes
I really enjoyed it, it looks stunning, I cared more about those monkeys than most non-cgi characters in any blockbuster I've seen this year. Good cinema experience.

A Cure For Wellness
Watched this at home. Shutter Island type thriller set in a spa. It's two and half hours long, occasionally interesting to look at but unoriginal. Few fairly gory scenes that made me feel ill, medical type ones. Yuck.

Clue (1985)
Based on the board game (Cluedo...), I kept seeing this show up on recommendation lists. Farce style comedy with Tim Curry. I thought it was a piece of shit, dated horribly, annoying, like an American carry-on. Obviously not for me.

billysexcrime

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:28 pm

I'm exhausted after watching Dunkirk. The fucking tension!

Exceptional film that everyone should watch on the biggest screen possible.

Eucrid

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:59 pm

Kind of put off by Dunkirk for some reason.

eventSecurity

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:01 pm

Fred__Elliott wrote:Andy Serkis to play Mark Hughes
Excellent casting

Fred__Elliott

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:25 am

Dunkirk is good, its not unbelievable nor is it the best war movie ever.
The tensions builds really well to a climax and then it just falls flat for me.

If it was just some random director who made it and not Nolan, people wouldnt be raving about it

enemies/friends

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:00 pm

I would generally agree with that sentiment re Dunkirk, but I would rank it higher than "good".
So the 3 stories were running on different timelines, right? I don't think that quite clicked with me properly til near the end when you saw the boat capsized from the plane that had capsized already ages ago. I think I'd like to go see it again with that knowledge in mind in advance. Pretty poor of me not to pick up on it :?

billysexcrime

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Dunkirk
Loved the fact that it didn't rely on gore as opposed to something like Hacksaw Ridge. That scene in HR where the guy picks up the torso of another soldier to use him as a shield as he runs up the battlefield :lol:

bartleby

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:26 pm

The Big Sick - really good, some very funny lines, Danesh from Silicon Valley is very good in it. Everyone is good in it really.

Fred__Elliott

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:32 am

enemies/friends wrote:I would generally agree with that sentiment re Dunkirk, but I would rank it higher than "good".
So the 3 stories were running on different timelines, right? I don't think that quite clicked with me properly til near the end when you saw the boat capsized from the plane that had capsized already ages ago. I think I'd like to go see it again with that knowledge in mind in advance. Pretty poor of me not to pick up on it :?
I picked up on the timelines at the beginning when they displayed them, the mole - 1 week, the boat - 1 day,
the planes - 1 hour

then I promptly forgot about it till when we saw Killian Murphy on the other boat at night :lol:

enemies/friends

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:55 am

Dunkirk
Haha yeah I saw that at the start and remember thinking "what's that all about, wtf is a "mole"?" :lol:

Biggy Shackleton

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:24 am

Went to see it last night.
Fantastic. Some of the aerial scenes were stunning on a big screen.

Can't help but feel it was missing a little something though, just can't put my finger on what it was.
Maybe i was expecting scenes on the beach to feature more heavily.

In my mind before now, I guess Dunkirk was always the BEF getting bombarded on a beach, from land and above, with their backs turned, fleeing.

Fred__Elliott

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:38 am

Fred__Elliott wrote:
Biggy Shackleton wrote:Went to see it last night.
Fantastic. Some of the aerial scenes were stunning on a big screen.

Can't help but feel it was missing a little something though, just can't put my finger on what it was.

In my mind before now, I guess Dunkirk was always the BEF getting bombarded on a beach, from land and above, with their backs turned, fleeing.
yeah thats what I imagined in School, about 400k men all swimming out to little boats and shit, under constant bombardment from artillery and fighter planes

not orderly fucking queues over the course of a week
the germans

Biggy Shackleton

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:51 am

Fred Elliott wrote:not orderly fucking queues over the course of a week
Exactly.

But i loved that in the film. Eerie calm, no dialogue. Every scene on the beach, you felt like you were on the beach.
Maybe a bit more of that was what i was after.
The bit at the end where Tom Hardy's plane glides silently over everyone heads was class.

enemies/friends

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:28 pm

I'm fairly tempted to go see it again, can't think what I last went to see a couple of times in the cinema. Might try and seek out one of the 35mm or 70mm showings as well

Lola

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:32 am

Dunkirk

I liked it but it was definitely missing something but I can't put my finger on it.
Maybe the lack of dialogue sort of made it hard to get a sense of characters to relate to / empathise / sympathise with? The ones I cared about had the most dialogue anyway so maybe it was a subconscious thing

Some *incredible* shots and the music was excellent and the cast were all great. I thought the timing element was really clever and I like that you didn't see Germans as though they were the unseen boogie men or something

I think I read that the sound and music was deliberately loud but if that was the case - it worked. I was genuinely frightened during some parts

Dick Jones

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:43 am

The Dark Tower getting absolutely skewered in reviews.

mooch

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:21 am

watched Snatched tonight....oh my god it's so bad. so so bad

there is nothing positive or complementary to say about it.

maybe that joan cusack doesn't have a speaking role?

ike barinholtz is the only good part. "i'm fucking annoying, i've read all the game of thrones books. i'll text you spoilers!"

Zook

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:10 pm

I watched the first 5 mins of that and turned it straight off.. Even those 5 mins were too much.. How did you get through it?!

mooch

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:44 pm

i did it for goldie hawn.

amy schumer must have something juicy on that family to get goldie to make this film after 15 yrs in retirement