Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
never_green

Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:52 pm

Lola wrote:22 Jump Street

Loaded with some fairly clever self-aware jokes but it's not as good as the first.
^ this but i was pleasantly surprised by the first one

it's a messier and bigger carbon copy but knows it. plenty of laughs to be had along the way

hopefully the
end credits means that there won't be any further sequels. very interested to see what these guys do next after a solid first 4 movies

Joycer

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:10 pm

How To Train Your Dragon 2 is very good, even better than the original.

Gatsby

Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:27 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:Watched Locke this evening.

Fantastic. Absolutely love it.
Just watched it there.

What was it that you loved so much about it?
"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further…And on fine morning - So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

eventSecurity

Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:38 pm

BadTurtle wrote:Think I preferred event sec's review tbh.

:lol: :lol: :thumbs:

Biggy Shackleton

Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:46 pm

Gatsby wrote:
Biggy Shackleton wrote:Watched Locke this evening.

Fantastic. Absolutely love it.
Just watched it there.

What was it that you loved so much about it?
. Simple story told so well.
And it looked beautiful i thought.

There's been a few of those one man performances in recent years, phonebooth, buried, and they felt stretched at 90mins. This flew. Hardy is brilliant in it.

I was just hooked right from the start. It's a skill to draw that much suspense and tension out of a film about a man driving home from a concrete pour on his way to the hospital.

The only gripe I'd have were the monologues to his father in the back seat.
And Andrew Scott. He's Shit.

Gatsby

Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:20 am

Thats fair enough. It didn't really grasp me as much as it should suspense wise but I did like the simplicity of it and Hardy holds it all together very well.

Why do you think Andrew Scott is shit? I think he's a fantastic actor, but i could be biased on that.
"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further…And on fine morning - So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

Rob

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:01 am

is there an online version of Locke available. All i can see on tbp is a Korean sub one

Rob

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:20 am

That Awkward Moment

Very easy watch. All three guys have great charisma and I could watch Michael B Jordan in anything. Took me till the end of the film to realise one of the girls reminded me of Lizzy Caplan :thumbs: More Mackenzie Davis please

mojo

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:07 am

I don't know if I could willing watch something with zac efron in it

Biggy Shackleton

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:03 am

Rob wrote:is there an online version of Locke available. All i can see on tbp is a Korean sub one
I got it online. i think the one i watched, had the korean subs, but the fact that i can't remember for sure means that they couldn't have intruded that much. I think i remember them in the opening credits is all.

Biggy Shackleton

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:05 am

Gatsby wrote: Why do you think Andrew Scott is shit? I think he's a fantastic actor, but i could be biased on that.
Biased why? Cos he's irish, or cos you know him?

All i know of him was Sherlock Holmes, but i thought he was piss poor in that. Poor choice for Moriarty anyway i thought, appearance/age wise, but i just think he's a shit actor, overcooked it, and his voice rubs me the wrong way.

and it was the same again in Locke.

eric the beard
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:31 am

locke was so good

it flies in too

I watched it last week and I'd happily watch it over again this week

in the first 5 minutes I was a bit concerned that hardy was over-egging the welsh accent...that it was maybe a bit too ivor the engine....but I soon warmed to it

as much as I like olivia coleman I did groan when I heard her voice....she's everywhere at the moment....I would have preferred if they had cast unknown actors for the telephone voices actually

maradara

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:35 am

didn't think much of locke. was alright i guess
it definitely had korean subtitles. now they were interesting

Biggy Shackleton

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:46 am

eric the beard wrote:locke was so good

it flies in too

I watched it last week and I'd happily watch it over again this week

in the first 5 minutes I was a bit concerned that hardy was over-egging the welsh accent...that it was maybe a bit too ivor the engine....but I soon warmed to it

as much as I like olivia coleman I did groan when I heard her voice....she's everywhere at the moment....I would have preferred if they had cast unknown actors for the telephone voices actually
Loved the little bit at the end,
where he gets the final call from her character, and you're thinking this is going to be bad news, and you've got that few moments where you're thinking, 'fuck... was it all for nothing? Is he going to get punished for trying to do the right thing?'

eric the beard

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:51 am

yeah same, biggy
in fact, I'd decided in my head about 20 minutes from the end that it was all going to end badly, so I was relieved that they didn't choose to go down that road

Biggy Shackleton

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:23 am

eric the beard wrote:yeah same, biggy
in fact, I'd decided in my head about 20 minutes from the end that it was all going to end badly, so I was relieved that they didn't choose to go down that road
Same tbh,
though i thought the bad ending was going to be that he'd crash the car given all the stress, and distractions he was juggling, and that his story would just become a scrolling headline at the foot of Sky News of a car crash on the M25 or wherever.

Dick Jones

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:29 am

Andrew Scott was in Band of Brothers, prominently but briefly. Part 2 I think.

eric the beard

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:34 am

so was tom hardy

i rewatched it last year and meant to keep an eye out for him, but missed him once again

meant to look out for fassbender too so cant remember seeing him either

Dick Jones

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:38 am

Fassbender pops up all the way through but he's very young and doesn't say much other than the odd throwaway line here and there.

eric the beard

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:44 am

when does hardy appear and how brief is it?