Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Raw
Excellent French horror. Meek vegetarian goes to veterinary college, eats some rabbit liver as part of an initiation ceremony during a fairly raucous freshers week (French third level seems pretty intense). Gets a taste for human flesh. Good show.

Paprika
An anime I've been meaning to watch for a long time. Interesting story, there's a device that allows people share their dreams which is abused by some sinister force, dreams are being hijacked, Paprika saves the day. Gorgeous dream sequences and fairly demented music.
i_ate_cats

Quiet weekend. Lots of movies watched.

The Discovery
Netflix Sci-Fi with Robert Redford, Rooney Mara & Jason Segel. Scientist discovers proof of an afterlife and people kill themselves in droves. Could have been interesting but it's a sentimental load of pap concentrating on the relationship between Segel and Mara. Seems to be have been rendered in the same palette as The OA (but waaaaay shitter, and that's saying something). Avoid.

Colossal
Anne Hathaway plays a pisshead who flees New York to her vacant family home in smalltown somewhereville to sort herself out and recoup from her failing relationship & career. She reunites with some old buddies, has a few drinks and discovers she controls a giant Kaiju type monster who is wreaking havok in Seoul. If you can play along with the daftness it's a really enjoyable film. The same director made 'Open Windows' which I've not seen but want to check out, great to see some new ideas.
i_ate_cats

Ridley Scott talking about casting a young Ripley for the ongoing Alien prequels, and her parents too.

What a tremendously fucking shitty idea, for so many reasons. They already desecrated Sarah Connor.
Dick Jones

Shame he feels a need to tie the two strands together to that extent. I'm ok with the Prometheus films, they're not the same thing as Alien for me (would be hard to maintain that delusion if Ripley shows up)

Just back from 'It Comes At Night', very strong psychological thriller in a post apocalyptic setting. Not too dissimilar to Survivalist from a year or so ago. I'd say 50% of the audience were expecting a typical jump horror. They were disappointed.
i_ate_cats

mooch wrote:speaking of john hughes and a baby walking down the street.....

me & my 5 yr old watched Baby's Day Out this morning. i'd never seen it before, it was brilliant. we laughed a lot

I remember seeing that film as a kid. Didn't realise it flopped. Apparently it was huge in India

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... econd-life
i_ate_cats

George A Romero is dead. :(
Eucrid

Eucrid wrote:George A Romero is dead. :(

Martin Landau too
Rob

La La Land is a musical, right? Heard mixed reactions but know nothing about it. Is it the kind of thing yizzer moms might like at an open air cinema on an island? Or would that not even save it?
Phierstarter

Dunkirk is getting rave reviews. Think I'll book a ticket for the big screen in Rathmines at the weekend.
billysexcrime

billysexcrime wrote:Dunkirk is getting rave reviews. Think I'll book a ticket for the big screen in Rathmines at the weekend.

Deffo heading to this.
Biggy Shackleton

Can't decide between seeing Baby Driver or War for Planet of the Apes tonight
enemies/friends

Planet of the Apes is getting huge reviews.
Biggy Shackleton

I'm thinking Apes might be the better choice, been a great series so far and in my slightly delicate alcohol induced state I think Baby Driver may require you to be in the right frame of mind more than Apes.
enemies/friends

The Disaster Artist, written, directed by and starrring James Franco. Read a review from Cannes a few months ago that was VERY positive, saying it will probably feature heavily in the awards next year. Behind the scenes story of The Room, which I'm sure needs no introduction.

phpBB [video]
Dick Jones

Apes is better than Baby Driver

It's visually stunning. I watched it on the iSense screen int he ODeon, the first scene in the woods is just outstanding
Fred__Elliott

Worth paying the extra for the Maxx screen?
enemies/friends

sure why not
Fred__Elliott

Stoke accept 24 mil bid for Arnautovic from West Ham. I know fees dont need much but thats a lot for about ten goals a season
bartleby

I heard they were lining up Tom Hardy to play Arnautovic
enemies/friends

Andy Serkis to play Mark Hughes
Fred__Elliott

PreviousNext

Return to The Electric Picnic