Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
eventSecurity

Tue May 05, 2015 8:25 pm

Eucrid wrote:
eric the beard wrote:i saw avengers and i thought it was brilliant. i'm not as bothered about the individual marvel films, haven't even seen half of them, but i really enjoy the avengers flicks. they're just great craic, plain and simple.
didn't realise they were breaking the gang up, though. so will there be no hulk in the third film? along with iron man and thor missing as well?

may not be as entertaining in that case. don cheadle's character seems like a bit of a gimp too.
I've heard speculation that some of them wont be back until the second Infinity War movie. There'll be a Captain America and a Thor movie before then though so they'll probably set things up in those.
Iron man will be in the next Captain America film.

I know the image showing all the superhero movies looks bad but im sure if you threw up a list of all the shite horror films or rom coms coming out in the same period it would look even worse. I enjoy them all, I like the way they all link together. Some of them seem like they are just setting up the next big film but it doesnt bother me too much

i_ate_cats

Wed May 06, 2015 6:25 am

Montage of Heck
Was reluctant to watch this cause it's quite a sad subject matter. I was worried it would glorify Kurt excessively. I feared it would be a fan only experience.
Interesting film, amazing that so much footage was at hand, especially from his childhood. It's a film about Kurt, not a Nirvana documentary. There's (thankfully IMO) very little fact and dates, talking heads are used sparingly (the similarities between Courtney and Kurt's mam are tough to ignore, maybe it's just me).
Some of the animation is gorgeous, very impressive, it's used to give life to some of his audio recordings.
It's over two hours long and is a bit of a commitment, I'd recommend watching it in a cinema. It won't tell you anything you didn't know already but it's an interesting portrait of a really talented artist.

Phierstarter

Wed May 06, 2015 6:45 am

Looking forward to watching this at an open air.
A lad I work with took a very different view of it. Said it was Courtney cashing in on his memory, and invasive against other people who were not asked permission, like his daughter, but I haven't checked if anyone has publicly complained about this.

i_ate_cats

Wed May 06, 2015 7:12 am

Think I read somewhere that Frances was involved the production of the film, didn't hear anything about permission anyway.

Eucrid

Wed May 06, 2015 7:48 am

eventSecurity wrote:
Eucrid wrote:
eric the beard wrote:i saw avengers and i thought it was brilliant. i'm not as bothered about the individual marvel films, haven't even seen half of them, but i really enjoy the avengers flicks. they're just great craic, plain and simple.
didn't realise they were breaking the gang up, though. so will there be no hulk in the third film? along with iron man and thor missing as well?

may not be as entertaining in that case. don cheadle's character seems like a bit of a gimp too.
I've heard speculation that some of them wont be back until the second Infinity War movie. There'll be a Captain America and a Thor movie before then though so they'll probably set things up in those.
Iron man will be in the next Captain America film.

I know the image showing all the superhero movies looks bad but im sure if you threw up a list of all the shite horror films or rom coms coming out in the same period it would look even worse. I enjoy them all, I like the way they all link together. Some of them seem like they are just setting up the next big film but it doesnt bother me too much

The major studios have pr try much given up on romcoms. Horror movies are dirt cheap. It just looks like bar one or two per year every blockbuster is gonna be superhero based.

BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Wed May 06, 2015 7:53 am

If only Godzilla had been good.

never_green

Wed May 06, 2015 7:59 am

i_ate_cats wrote:Montage of Heck
Was reluctant to watch this cause it's quite a sad subject matter. I was worried it would glorify Kurt excessively. I feared it would be a fan only experience.
Interesting film, amazing that so much footage was at hand, especially from his childhood. It's a film about Kurt, not a Nirvana documentary. There's (thankfully IMO) very little fact and dates, talking heads are used sparingly (the similarities between Courtney and Kurt's mam are tough to ignore, maybe it's just me).
Some of the animation is gorgeous, very impressive, it's used to give life to some of his audio recordings.
It's over two hours long and is a bit of a commitment, I'd recommend watching it in a cinema. It won't tell you anything you didn't know already but it's an interesting portrait of a really talented artist.
Why the need to watch it in the cinema. I'm 50/50 on whether to splash out for it or not. I already have it downloaded as it aired in hbo the other night.

i_ate_cats

Wed May 06, 2015 8:38 am

The animation and the soundtrack are well suited to the cinema. If you had a good home setup it would probably do the trick.

My attention span is shite at home and anything over two hours requires a lot of effort not to use internet or laptop, I like the cinema to focus sometimes.

Lola

Wed May 06, 2015 9:38 am

So what's up with Joss Whedon? Is he throwing a hissy fit because he can't take criticism or has he genuine reasons to leave Twitter?

BadTurtle

Wed May 06, 2015 9:49 am

It was less criticism and more character assassination to be fair, thousands and thousands of tweets calling his racist, misogynistic, transphobic. Twitter is the worst.

Eucrid

Wed May 06, 2015 9:50 am

"I just thought, 'wait a minute, if I'm going to start writing again, I have to go to the quiet place — and this is the least quiet place I've ever been in my life."

eric the beard
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast

Wed May 06, 2015 10:01 am

i_ate_cats wrote:Think I read somewhere that Frances was involved the production of the film, didn't hear anything about permission anyway.
she was executive producer and so is naturally very supportive of the film, based on what i've read.

Lola

Wed May 06, 2015 10:58 am

BadTurtle wrote:It was less criticism and more character assassination to be fair, thousands and thousands of tweets calling his racist, misogynistic, transphobic. Twitter is the worst.
To be fair to him, he gives Black Widow more of a reason to be there than I'm sure any other director would. She's actually a decent, well rounded character which is more that can be said for other female characters in film. He did a fair job

Dick Jones

Wed May 06, 2015 5:50 pm

Haven't seen Age of Ultron but that sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

There's also this:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... vel-studio

stateofyouboy

Thu May 07, 2015 8:11 am

watched babadook, the gf had to leave the room during it, great horror, check it out

eric the beard

Thu May 07, 2015 9:08 am

we're working our way through the 'up' documentaries at the moment. for anyone who doesn't know them, the first one is a 30 minute programme made in 1964, michael apted interviewed a bunch of 7 year olds from different backgrounds and talked to them about class, race, culture etc. he then returns every 7 years to talk to the same people and see how they're getting on.

we've watched the first three films so the people involved have turned 21. i think the films continue until they are into their late fifties and apted died recently so i imagine there will not be any more now.

i really recommend them anyway, they're interesting on a lot of different levels. they're on netflix us for anyone who has it.

ishouldcoco

Thu May 07, 2015 9:14 am

Yeah I have seen some of them, really interesting! Would love to watch the lot. Just the US Netflix? Hmmmm.

Phierstarter

Thu May 07, 2015 9:21 am

Up is a classic, obviously.

eric the beard

Thu May 07, 2015 9:27 am

ishouldcoco wrote:Yeah I have seen some of them, really interesting! Would love to watch the lot. Just the US Netflix? Hmmmm.
they might be on the UK version too, not sure coco.

BadTurtle

Thu May 07, 2015 9:30 am

stateofyouboy wrote:watched babadook, the gf had to leave the room during it, great horror, check it out
Absolutely love that film. The book and the Babadook itself are two of the best creations in horror in a long time.