Film Discussion Thread *NO SPOILERS*

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
never_green

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:20 pm

the screening of it at the RFH with the live score will stick with me for a long time, i bumped into one of the cast in the toilet beforehand too which was a really surreal experience

after delving a little bit more into the behind the scenes story of boyhood i now want to see it again. i've heard it's even more rewarding on second viewing

it really is unlike anything i've seen before

eric the beard
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast

Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:24 am

I've to go with my brother to see apes tomorrow but will hopefully try and shoehorn boyhood into what is looking like a busy weekend

it's not showing in many cinemas up here so I don't think it'll get a long run

which UTS cast member did you see?

i_ate_cats

Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:41 am

Not sure whether to post this in youtube videos or film thread

Anyway, going to spoiler tag it as it's from the end of 'Her'

Joaquin Phoenix's Forehead
phpBB [video]

piepiepress

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:00 am

can anyone else smell hash?

never_green

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:04 am

eric the beard wrote:I've to go with my brother to see apes tomorrow but will hopefully try and shoehorn boyhood into what is looking like a busy weekend

Gonna watch apes over the weekend myself. The critical response has been great for it.

As for UTS, it was the guy with the
elephantiasis

i_ate_cats

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:19 am

There's three shorts on youtube to fill the 10 year gap from Rise to Dawn
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

eric the beard
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:21 am

ah interesting.

such an amazing film. i sort of don't want to rush into seeing it again too soon in case it somehow loses a bit of the effect from seeing it the first time.

i_ate_cats

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:33 am

never_green wrote:
eric the beard wrote:I've to go with my brother to see apes tomorrow but will hopefully try and shoehorn boyhood into what is looking like a busy weekend

Gonna watch apes over the weekend myself. The critical response has been great for it.

As for UTS, it was the guy with the
elephantiasis
I can see why you spoilered that. I read this interview with him before seeing the film. Didn't take too much away from the viewing but I knew it was coming up.

never_green

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:26 pm

good read that

in other news, a new joe swanberg film that i was completely unaware of is getting great reviews and is apparently his best yet

the man churns out the movies and i really liked last years drinking buddies

this year is shaping up to be a great year in terms of movies

Eucrid

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:39 pm

Happy Christmas or Thou Wast Mild and Lovely?

never_green

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:19 pm

happy christmas, hadn't heard of it until today

i assume it's already available to d/l as it can be rented on itunes in the states already

and i do love anna kendrick

Dick Jones

Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Did anyone notice in Boyhood the guy behind the counter when he goes in to buy beer for his stepdad is the same fella in the same role from Dazed & Confused.

My own capacity for noticing and retaining things like this never fails to astound me.

Eucrid

Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:15 pm

never_green wrote:happy christmas, hadn't heard of it until today

i assume it's already available to d/l as it can be rented on itunes in the states already

and i do love anna kendrick
Yeah I stuck it on to watch last week but figured within a few minutes I wasn't in the mood. Camera was all weird. I just wanted Drinking Buddies at the time and this was a different vibe. I still intend on watching it.

never_green

Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Have it ready to watch now along with life itself.

And yeah, dick jones, there's a few small callbacks to older movies within boyhood. That's the most obvious one. Ethan Hawkes car is another but that's actually Linklaters. A guy from slacker makes an appearance too

I watched that free to play documentary. Wasn't overly impressed. There's worse ways to pass an hour though.

blitzen

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:58 pm

Watched Sex Drive again on whatever irish station late last night. Good in parts - stupid in others. Grand for that time of night with a few beers already in us. Mardsen's scenes were the highlight. That kick!

phpBB [video]

enemies/friends

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:06 pm

Rise of Planet of the Apes is just starting on Channel 4 right now.

Will watch that again before catching the new one in the cinema

maradara

Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:10 am

TWO LIVES

this was really good. structured around some unreal shit the stasi did in norway

blitzen

Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:11 pm

Watched some noughties film last night called Gossip:

Stars Cersi, Daryl Dixon, Penny Lane, Scott Summers, Pacey and Barry from Talk Radio.

I was expecting it to be one of those ensemble horror pieces of shit films that came out every two minutes at the turn of the decade but it wasn't - it was just one of those ensemble piece of shit film with no horror to be found.

Plot premise is three friends start a rumour to see "how far it can go" after that no-one should care really. I certainly didn't.

Studio heads probably thought "Aha! Another twist-ending film", the writers probably believed it was the greatest script since Chinatown, the actors were no doubt expecting the accolades to flood in. For two thirds it was trundling along nicely but like so many other films of that era it just fell apart in the last act. All style but no substance.

All in all Gossip is not really that clever a film and is definitely not as smart as it thinks it is. They should have just went the horror route instead - at least that way they could have churned out a few sequels with a B-List Horror psychopath.

So in summation, what I have learned from watching Gossip is that a recognisable cast does not equal good film. 2/5

mooch

Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:09 pm

when I first saw Daryl in the walking dead I thought "oh there's yer man from gossip"
same with cersi in GOT

blitzen

Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:12 pm

mooch wrote:when I first saw Daryl in the walking dead I thought "oh there's yer man from gossip"
same with cersi in GOT
That's pretty much exactly what the missus said with Cersi. I'd never heard of the damn film before then.

Good cast, shite film though.