Your first kiss

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Zook
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:23 am

Never heard of feek in my life

eric the beard
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:25 am

what about the australians eh

pash

voidoid

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:32 am

:lol:

Just remembered a french lad I met travelling in Thailand who only had limited english.
He came back to the hostel all excited one night saying he'd "bashed" a girl.
He was kinda of scrappy and a bit rough looking so more than a few people thought he had.

mojo

Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:44 pm

fatguy2k1 wrote::)
jamjar wrote::) 'Feek' is used in Galway!

:(
i was just going to say that. but was used in the mid-90's not heard the word in years. "you going to feek that beuer?" = "are you going to kiss that attractive lady"
feek and beuer are traveller words

and if you think they are galway/limerick words...well is it any wonder

citizen snips

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:55 pm

BadTurtle wrote:Never heard feek said by a corkonian. I wouldn't trust anyone that uses the word non-ironically
Aye it's used here ironically for the most part besides a certain type of person (that's why I referenced the certain romance song) but it's definitely used in Cork, 100%.

Another Australian classic is 'Root'

Lumbo

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:40 am

citizen snips wrote:
BadTurtle wrote:Never heard feek said by a corkonian. I wouldn't trust anyone that uses the word non-ironically
Aye it's used here ironically for the most part besides a certain type of person (that's why I referenced the certain romance song) but it's definitely used in Cork, 100%.

Another Australian classic is 'Root'
A girl I know was working in a book shop in Australia. Someone had phoned and asked about the availability of books. She was only new in the shop and said "I'm not sure if we have those, but you sound nice. Why don't you come down to the shop and we can have a root". An hour later this old man walks into the shop thinking he's going to get some.

The girls pretty hot but also a bit of a geebag. She failed to see the funny side.

Zook

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:46 am

A geebag :lol: :lol:

maradara

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:57 am

J R Hartley

dwayne

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:59 am

"Will you go with my friend"

"I went with xxxx the last night"

That's how it's said up in Donegal

Zook

Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Go with to us meant "go out with" not just kiss

Ye wouldn't just go with anyone

dwayne

Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:01 pm

"Go with" and "go out with" would be different things for us

Rusty Shackleford

Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:39 pm

dwayne wrote:"Will you go with my friend"

"I went with xxxx the last night"

That's how it's said up in Donegal
And tyrone :thumbs:

Only its "Will you go way...."

and "I went way...."

i_ate_cats

Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:44 pm

Feak was a popular word in the town I went to school in.

Big traveler population, so you'll get that.

Mr.Snrub

Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:37 pm

shivo wrote:I was pretty old when I finally got my first kiss, I wanna say 13... but probably 14, I had a couple cans of cider and was pretty drunk, as did she and she was hammered. Half way through someone bumped into us and somehow my tongue went up her nose.
In my defence, it was a pretty big nose.
14's not that old. I was a lot older than that before I ever got the shift.
I've heard it being used. But this was North Cork and there were a good few traveller families in the area.
Meet was more common though.

But I prefer shift, shift's a great word!

mojo

Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:43 pm

long live the shift!

Zook

Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:12 pm

You're all disgusting culchies

dwayne

Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:10 pm

My mate had his 30th at the weekend, he'd went to college in Dublin so some of his college mates (who were from Dublin) came up to LK. One snotty bitch just said to noone in particular "I just don't understand country people" at one point. Mate of mine asked what she meant, she just replied "oh, I'm from the city". This was just in the taxi on the way to the night club, it's not like anything very culchie had been going on. Think she just needed to get it in there, to blow us away that there was someone in our presence from the BIG CITY of DUBLIN.

Another of the lads from Dublin was incredibly drunk, and got sick in the men's toilets. He had been going around all night making jokes about "the Omagh bombings", which didn't even really make sense?

Anyway, that's off topic but Zook's comment reminded me of it!

maradara

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:16 pm

Country yokels, not getting the big city humor

Rob

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:32 pm

i never heard feek until that lollipop headed portlaoise kid who keeps popping up on my Facebook feed said it

yeah, twas meet/score in Dublin as i grew up, and shift in Carlow

Zook

Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:37 pm

maradara wrote:Country yokels, not getting the big city humor
This is it