The Book Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.

Nick Hornby - A Long Way Down

Four vastly different people plan to commit suicide by jumping off a building on New Years, but they end up talking each other/themselves out of it for the time being. The characters are all pretty interesting, and the story never really goes where you expect it to go. Really enjoyable.

Go Ask Alice - Anonymous

A 15 year old girl's diary about the first time she takes drugs and her subsequent addiction. It gets quite dark in places, and she's very eloquent for a 15 yr old which kind of threw me a bit. One of my major gripes is that she just isn't very likeable. A good enough read.
JasonManic

Now that Im not commuting i barely read. It annoys me really. Used to tear through books. Excited for The City of Mirrors later this year though. The Passage was brilliant, The twelve while not as good was still really good
bartleby

Yeah, I always wondered how you managed to post in the old thread so often.

Is there a release date for City of Mirrors? At times The Twelve was a bit of a slog, it came together a bit too well toward the end. But yeah The Passage was a great book.
JasonManic

currently reading "devoted to death - santa muerte, skeleton saint" by Andrew Chesnut

started it a while ago but didn't finish it because its badly written, but picked it up again at the weekend as its an interesting subject. going to finish it and see if i can find a better written book on the same topic. one thing leads to another with me, read "the serpent and the rainbow" there a while back, that led to a book on voodoo and spells, and now this.

trying to make my mind up which cult i should get involved with
tic tac

JasonManic wrote:Yeah, I always wondered how you managed to post in the old thread so often.

Is there a release date for City of Mirrors? At times The Twelve was a bit of a slog, it came together a bit too well toward the end. But yeah The Passage was a great book.

October for the hardcover i think. dunno for paper back
bartleby

Have finished reading the 3 Long Earth books (Terry Pratchett/Stephen Baxter). Love Pratchett, have never read any Baxter beforehand. Couldn't really see much Pratchett in the 3 books as they were more sci-fi than fantasy but were really enjoyable.
Lobsang, Agnes and Sally were my favourite characters, all three had heart in their own way. Thought the way the trolls were treated in the second book was terrible.
It's an interesting idea, would love to see what would happen if the opportunity for endless worlds was available
tickleelmo

I have become terrible at reading books since the advent of smartphones

its pretty sad

anyway this is what I am reading at the minute... a charming does of gentle buddhism

i really only read books on spirituality or true crime these days

what a combination
mojo

I loved a Long Way Down. Was the film any use?

Currently reading Easy Riders Raging Bulls, it's great. Very insightful.
Dick Jones

Easy Riders Raging Bulls has been on my shelf for years. I'm interested but fiction nearly always takes priority.

Trying to get my reading habits back on track, joined a local library. I find the loan time is a useful incentive to pick up the pace.

Just read:

Pleasant fantasy malarkey. Wasn't overly keen on the protagonist but it's an enjoyable read.
i_ate_cats

i_ate_cats wrote:Easy Riders Raging Bulls has been on my shelf for years. I'm interested but fiction nearly always takes priority.

I'd be the exact opposite and non-fiction would always take priority. As DJ says it's great read about a really interesting period.
LordPercy

i_ate_cats wrote:Easy Riders Raging Bulls has been on my shelf for years. I'm interested but fiction nearly always takes priority.

Trying to get my reading habits back on track, joined a local library. I find the loan time is a useful incentive to pick up the pace.

Just read:

Pleasant fantasy malarkey. Wasn't overly keen on the protagonist but it's an enjoyable read.

Found that book very very dark
tickleelmo

Dick Jones wrote:I loved a Long Way Down. Was the film any use?

Ha, I didn't even know there was a film! Rotten Tomatoes tells me it was pretty bad but I'd be interested in seeing it.
JasonManic

Any holiday reading recommendations?
Something short, easy and non-fiction.
shivo

White Bicycles by Joe Boyd is one of the better written music industry biographys out there
voidoid

Naomi Klein has a new book out next week:

This pleases me. I absolutely loved The Shock Doctrine.

No Logo is obviously very dated by now but it was great during that late 90s anti establishment buzz.
Dick Jones

A collection of Ronsons writings for the Guardian and GQ. Some of them are very good. He also revealed in one article he earns about $250k a year!
LordPercy

Dick Jones wrote:
No Logo is obviously very dated by now but it was great during that late 90s anti establishment buzz.

That's been knocking around the house for ages now, but I've never read it. Is it still worth a look?

Currently reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Anyone who likes fantasy needs to check it out, it's absolutely brilliant. Heavy enough read but definitely worth it.
JasonManic

The facts and figures for No logo would be out of date but I'd imagine it would definitely be still worth a read. A lot of the same corporate practices would still be happening. It's an excellent book
LordPercy

Oh yeah I would say it's still a superb read. I mean dated as in just that globalisation, technology and society in general have moved on so much since then.

But then I suppose that enormous factory fire in - Bangladesh was it? - last year is exactly the kind of thing she warns about in it.

The Shock Doctrine is absolutely amazing though. For a non-fiction book it really does read like a thriller.
Dick Jones

I didnt read the article just the headline but supposedly conditions have got worse in apples Chinese plants in the run up to the iphone launch so the content of the book is still relevant may not necessarily change your shopping habits but will make you think
LordPercy

Next

Return to The Electric Picnic