The Footie Thread 2014/15

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Fred__Elliott

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:55 am

players are knackered all ready, and they only had 1 competition to focus on

dwayne

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:Its hard to gauge these days, but how much are the Liverpool fans buying into the Jurgen Klopp project?
We've looked very good whenever we play the big sides under him. I'm still incredibly happy we got him, and he was the clear #1 choice for us.

But we've been woeful against teams at the bottom. Losing to Burnley, Swansea, Bournemouth, Hull......it's annoying. And he could have handled the Sakho situation much better; fair enough if he was out of line, but we need quality centrebacks and he is (or can be) one.

I actually expect us to beat Arsenal on Saturday, but still find 4th to be a major struggle.

Eucrid

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:09 pm

I think Liverpool will win too. Wenger wont make the changes needed, especially dropping Ozil who is terrible against physical sides and never shows up in big league games away from home.

Biggy Shackleton

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:16 pm

dwayne wrote:
Biggy Shackleton wrote:Its hard to gauge these days, but how much are the Liverpool fans buying into the Jurgen Klopp project?
We've looked very good whenever we play the big sides under him. I'm still incredibly happy we got him, and he was the clear #1 choice for us.

But we've been woeful against teams at the bottom. Losing to Burnley, Swansea, Bournemouth, Hull......it's annoying. And he could have handled the Sakho situation much better; fair enough if he was out of line, but we need quality centrebacks and he is (or can be) one.

I actually expect us to beat Arsenal on Saturday, but still find 4th to be a major struggle.
I'd reckon ye'll beat arsenal too, which will be great.

Playing well in big games, but not being able to perform against small teams is nothing new for Liverpool.
It has been a fairly consistent trait for a very long time now. Right back to Roy Evans days, with the exception of the Rafa era.

There's a huge issue to be addressed though with the sort of goals that are being conceded. Set pieces and getting caught on the break says a bit about the sort of preperation that teams put in.

dwayne

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:50 am

It was a problem under Rafa, as well; in 2008/2009, we only lost to Middlesborough and Spurs, had a load of draws at home against the likes of Hull, Stoke and Wigan, but managed to beat both United and Chelsea home and away.

Fred__Elliott

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:57 am

what is going on with Arsenal?

Eucrid

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:59 am

Wenger should have gone about 5 years ago but he didn't so here we are.

Shatners Bassoon

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:35 am

Such a shit show.

Wenger should announce his retirement now so that the rest of the season can be about celebrating his reign. Things are going to get ugly otherwise.

Fred__Elliott

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:01 am

What do you reckon your future prospects are if ye miss out on CL? Chances of Alexis staying are probably gone out the window, and potentially Ozil too I would imagine. I think players would still be attracted to play for Arsenal without CL but you would have to pay the kind of money Utd have been for the last few years, which might not sit well with the board

Throw in a new manager and it could be a massive couple of years a kin to what Utd are going through. Although I dont think yis would appoint someone like Moyes

eventSecurity

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:24 am

Read a piece a while ago & said he's the only footballing man there. After Dein left, the board etc are all businessmen. They could get the next appointment very wrong.

Eucrid

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:22 pm

Fred__Elliott wrote:What do you reckon your future prospects are if ye miss out on CL? Chances of Alexis staying are probably gone out the window, and potentially Ozil too I would imagine. I think players would still be attracted to play for Arsenal without CL but you would have to pay the kind of money Utd have been for the last few years, which might not sit well with the board

Throw in a new manager and it could be a massive couple of years a kin to what Utd are going through. Although I dont think yis would appoint someone like Moyes
I don't think its similar to the United situation because there was only way for United to go after Fergie. After Wenger there is a chance that we fall away for a while but there is also a chance for improvement.

I think if Arsenal announced Wenger was leaving there'd be a better chance of keeping Sanchez. Don't know what Ozil is doing, don't really care either way. He could be great under another manager but he's just going through the motions at the moment.
eventSecurity wrote:Read a piece a while ago & said he's the only footballing man there. After Dein left, the board etc are all businessmen. They could get the next appointment very wrong.
I don't know about that. Gaizidis may be a business man but all his experience is within football. I'm holding off on judging Gaizidis and Kroenke until Wenger goes, lets see what they do without Wenger dominating everything.

Rob

Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:17 pm

While obviously Arsenal have stagnated for years and years, being the 4th biggest spenders, it's remarkable that they've not dropped below 4th for so long. You'd really expect a yoyo between 1st/2nd and 6th

I know part of being tight with money was Wenger himself, and thinking he could achieve his ambitions while also being economic. Do you reckon the board will loosen the purse strings with a new manager? Cause I'd imagine anyone who comes in will demand that if they're expected to push for the league

Eucrid

Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:25 pm

Hard to know. I mean they splashed out for Ozil, Sanchez and even Xhaka. Despite his reputation Wengers spending in recent years hasn't been great either, I'd hope a new manager spending roughly the same could do better. There is a lot of money there that could be spent without Kroenke having to dip into his own pockets, I certainly don't think he'd do that.

billysexcrime

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:54 pm

Spectacular bottle job by PSG there. What a game though!

BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:05 pm

Di Maria was wearing his Utd boots tonight.

Rob

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:51 pm

i still wanna know did he just make wank of his chance or did Mascherano nail him. Should have passed either way

Can't find any replays

Fred__Elliott

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:02 pm

turned it off when PSG scored

Eucrid

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:22 am

The CL is getting really annoying, seems like whenever Barca need a big call they're going to get one.

Lumbo

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:23 am

Eucrid wrote:The CL is getting really annoying, seems like whenever Barca need a big call they're going to get one.
:lol:

maradara

Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:53 am