The Footie Thread 2014/15

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Rob
Posts: 1707
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Did Giroud's shot deflect. I'm sure it did but I've not heard any acknowledgement of it on BT

User avatar
maradara
Posts: 3229
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:49 pm
Location: where it's hot

Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:10 pm

the original crazy eyes

phpBB [video]

User avatar
blitzen
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:34 pm
Location: You're so cool Brewster!

Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:45 pm

Miroslav Klose has announced his retirement from international football.

West Ham have offered Sunderland £5m for Connor Wickham.

Manchester City have announced the signing of the France centre-back Eliaquim Mangala for £32m.

In other news I have changed my FF team for the umpteenth time and am now convinced Bojan is the man to lead me to glory.

User avatar
Eucrid
Posts: 6062
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:43 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:46 pm

Did Wickham not cost a lot more than that when they bought him, and now he's starting to show a bit of his potential being realised, can't see him going that cheap.

User avatar
Eucrid
Posts: 6062
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:43 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Rob wrote:Did Giroud's shot deflect. I'm sure it did but I've not heard any acknowledgement of it on BT
Looks clean from this angle http://www.gfycat.com/UncomfortableRealBuck

User avatar
blitzen
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:34 pm
Location: You're so cool Brewster!

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:04 pm

Eucrid wrote:Did Wickham not cost a lot more than that when they bought him, and now he's starting to show a bit of his potential being realised, can't see him going that cheap.
Cost £8 million, one year left on his contract & he won't sign a new one by all accounts.
Big Sam needs someone to lump the ball up to - all this Zarate & Valencia stuff is a ploy to catch small, nippy defenders out. No-one suspects Connor Wickham.

User avatar
JC!
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:21 pm

blitzen wrote:Miroslav Klose has announced his retirement from international football.

West Ham have offered Sunderland £5m for Connor Wickham.

Manchester City have announced the signing of the France centre-back Eliaquim Mangala for £32m.

In other news I have changed my FF team for the umpteenth time and am now convinced Bojan is the man to lead me to glory.
Bojan is a player i definitely don't think will be able to do it on a wet tuesday night in stoke.

I know hughes has a talent for getting great performances out of mediocre players, but if can't make it in italy or holland not sure he'll make it in england

Rob
Posts: 1707
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:24 pm

blitzen wrote:
Eucrid wrote:Did Wickham not cost a lot more than that when they bought him, and now he's starting to show a bit of his potential being realised, can't see him going that cheap.
Cost £8 million, one year left on his contract & he won't sign a new one by all accounts.
Big Sam needs someone to lump the ball up to - all this Zarate & Valencia stuff is a ploy to catch small, nippy defenders out. No-one suspects Connor Wickham.
I keep forgetting they got Zarate. So when Carroll got injured again, i thought it was just Valencia and C Cole and they were fucked. They'll be fine

ishouldcoco
Posts: 2282
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:36 am

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:32 pm

JC! wrote: Bojan is a player i definitely don't think will be able to do it on a wet tuesday night in stoke.

I know hughes has a talent for getting great performances out of mediocre players, but if can't make it in italy or holland not sure he'll make it in england
Defo. Surely Ajax waiving the option to keep him on loan for another season should have set off a few alarm bells.

Rob
Posts: 1707
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:34 pm

Now that Klose retired from Internationals, Robbie Keane is the highest International goalscorer amongst active internationals

Drogba was ahead of him too before retiring

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fo ... onal_goals

Tony Mokbel
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:19 pm

Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:40 pm

Depending on how he fares in terms of keeping fit and how the Irish team does, Keane should be looking at passing Pele there. If he had another 3 years in him, which he might or might not, he'd likely get the 15 he needs to equal him anyway

User avatar
Gatsby
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:04 pm
Location: location location

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:30 pm

blitzen wrote:
Eucrid wrote:Did Wickham not cost a lot more than that when they bought him, and now he's starting to show a bit of his potential being realised, can't see him going that cheap.
Cost £8 million, one year left on his contract & he won't sign a new one by all accounts.
Big Sam needs someone to lump the ball up to - all this Zarate & Valencia stuff is a ploy to catch small, nippy defenders out. No-one suspects Connor Wickham.

I read a few reports saying its 50/50, basically poyet won't let him leave, but he wants to go. Didn't know he has a year left, if the borini deal had of happened we might have gotten him cheaper/easier.

If it goes through, that will be 30mill spent this window which is a record for us. Can't think of any transfers out either so its a big investment.

Happy with all the signings, just a shame i'm not so confident about the manager.
"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further…And on fine morning - So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

Tony Mokbel
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:19 pm

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:16 pm

Villa agree Sanchez fee. Lerner no longer actively looking to sell the club and will back Lambert with money according to some journo on Twitter.

Tony Mokbel
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:19 pm

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:48 am

Aaand Sanchez is off according to reports because of his third party ownership which would be against the premier league rules. We really fuckin could've done with him too

Rob
Posts: 1707
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:31 am

Liverpool linked with Eto'o, and honestly, if we can't get any of our big targets, I wouldn't be too upset to have him

Biggy Shackleton
Posts: 2656
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:10 pm

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:01 am

Tony Mokbel wrote:Aaand Sanchez is off according to reports because of his third party ownership which would be against the premier league rules. We really fuckin could've done with him too
So Lerner backs Lambert like you just said and ye pay Sanchez agent 14m, like city have just done for mangala.

14m of a 42m transfer fee went to mangalas agent Jorge Mendez.. That's insane.

User avatar
Rev
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:40 am

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:56 am

Rob wrote:Liverpool linked with Eto'o, and honestly, if we can't get any of our big targets, I wouldn't be too upset to have him

I can see the sense in a move like that. Sturridge will be number one striker and what they need is some decent backup that won't really affect the way the team play, not necessarily another front line striker they have to accomodate when both are fit. Origi will be coming in next season after his loan is over so he'll take that spot then.

ishouldcoco
Posts: 2282
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:36 am

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:59 am

I'm not really sure why we sent Origi back on loan. We could have totally used him plenty this year. Eto'o on a free would probably make sense in the meantime. Although the way we played on Sunday you could see us getting away without a striker at all!

User avatar
maradara
Posts: 3229
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:49 pm
Location: where it's hot

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:36 am

haven't seen any of liverpool recently, but i can't see the sense in an Eto move. lambert is already there as a plan b. not really sure what eto can offer outside of finishing, and that's nothing like a replacement for suarez

User avatar
Eucrid
Posts: 6062
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:43 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:38 am

Agreed, I don't see Eto'o offering enough for him to be worthwhile for Liverpool. Lambert is a better option now.

Post Reply