The Footie Thread 2014/15

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Fred__Elliott

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:37 am

BadTurtle wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:42 pm
Well deserved. Appalling management from Mourinho, appalling performances from almost every united player barring Lukaku and to some extent Rashford (though his inexperience really shined with those constant, hopeless free kicks). Sevilla should have won the first leg as well, only right they went through.

Special mention for Pogba. It's like watching that gif of Fellaini running the ball straight off the pitch but for 90 minutes.
Mourinho has to go after that. Such a shocking performance over 2 legs. Worst stat I have seen is that they had 4 shots on target over 2 legs against a team with a -6 goal difference in La Liga, a team that have already conceded 62 goals. There's no tactics, its just 11 players out on a pitch and percentage football. Sanchez is awful but how is he supposed to build up an understanding when his position and the system is changing every match. He looked a lot better behind Lukaku with Rashford on the left and Mata on the right on Saturday, why fucking change it?

Only player I feel sorry for is Lukaku. He was the only one trying and it looked like he was on his own for most of it. Bailly looked like he was running on 1 leg most of the match. The amount of players lacking confidence at this stage of the season, when we're second in the league and still in for 2 other trophies says it all about Mourinho. Pogba looks a shadow of the player we bought

And then his comments in the press conference after. What a cunt, get him out of the club.

Biggy Shackleton

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:42 am

Sanchez should be bombed out of the first 11. I'm not sure who he is, but its not the same lad that was playing at Arsenal.

Delighted with the result last night. I always am these days when Utd lose. We're fucking horrible to watch. The only joy i get from Utd these days is watching Rashford and Martial.
Water off a ducks back to Mourinho though it'd seem, judging by the press conference afterwards. Seems like he knows there's zero pressure on him.

You'd wonder if Woodward suffers from the same affliction that Kronke does at Arsenal. Where success on the pitch plays second fiddle to the commerical success.

Rob

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:48 am

With yous coming 2nd, I wouldn't for a second believe he'd go. Even had we won and 4th looked likely, I probably still wouldn't think so. But if he were to go, who would you want? Simeone's the only one off the top of my head, and even he's about defensive solidity (although that's probably partly down to resources)

Biggy Shackleton

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:26 pm

Rob wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:48 am
With yous coming 2nd, I wouldn't for a second believe he'd go. Even had we won and 4th looked likely, I probably still wouldn't think so. But if he were to go, who would you want? Simeone's the only one off the top of my head, and even he's about defensive solidity (although that's probably partly down to resources)
Pochettino would do.

I haven't a fucking clue anymore who's the new thing on the continent these days, but i'm sure there's someone who would fit the bill, plays the right brand of football, and has a long term plan / encourages youth development.

Though i will say this for Mourinho, in his time at United, Rashford and Martial are 2 out of 3 of his most played players, along with De Gea i think. Was surprised when i heard that.

I agree though, i don't think he'd be likely to go, if we came 4th and lost to ye. He seems far too chilled these days.

It'll need a turn from the terraces to escalate things i think. Woodward would sit up and take note then i think. There were a few boos on the final whistle last night.

maradara

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 pm

it was a struggle to be awake anyway, but i coudlnt' make it more than 25 mins into that game. the football was just awful. long balls all day. it's like watching ireland play all over again
can't understand why he shifted rashford and sanchez when it worked so well against liverpool
the comments after the game were unreal. if moyes said that there'd be a much bigger deal made of it

BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Healing some of the sting of the Sevilla tie here. Comical from City.

Rob

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:43 pm

That was wild. Not a single good chance for City all game it’s some going

BadTurtle
Location: Pour up, drank. Head shot, drank. Sit down, drank. Stand up, drank.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:01 pm

Not a good week for Pep. Rule No.1 of management: don't call out a specific opposition player in pre-match press conference.

Dodgy ref helped United out big time, but wow is Sterling a hopeless finisher. Better from Pogba but still think he's capable of better under an attack-minded manager, and if he sorts his attitude out.

electricnose

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:55 pm

Eating Jersey Creams and I didn't think this was possible.

Fred__Elliott

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:58 am

BadTurtle wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:01 pm
Not a good week for Pep. Rule No.1 of management: don't call out a specific opposition player in pre-match press conference.

Dodgy ref helped United out big time, but wow is Sterling a hopeless finisher. Better from Pogba but still think he's capable of better under an attack-minded manager, and if he sorts his attitude out.
ref was a disaster, and we were lucky though I think the Young tackle on Aguero looked worse in slowmo. His trailing leg kicked up off the ball and thats why it looked so high. Peno but not a red. He didn't do anything about City's fouling to stop counter attacks but booked United players for similar tackles minutes later like Lukaku. It's been a constant theme all season with them. I wouldnt take any solace from the win considering how bad Utd were in the first half though. Pogba looked like he didnt give a fuck about the match. It was a derby ffs. Fed up looking at him and Sanchez trying to beat 4 players when there's an easy pass on to a teammate in a good position. I think it's 70/30 between Pogba and Mourinho in terms of his performances, with the 70 being Pogba. We've gotten the best performances this season from him when Herrera is on the other side of the 3 and not Lingard/Fellaini/McTominay

Was delighted to see Herrera back in the team and up to his bollox winding City up once we got the lead.

Biggy Shackleton

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:39 pm

I really like Herrera too. Works his ass off, has a real eye for a pass, positionally excellent and loves a tackle. And he's a dab hand at the dark arts too

That midfield trio should be Utd's first choice. Matic and Herrera with Pogba in front.

Shatners Bassoon

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:08 pm

Jesus Wenger’s presser after the game today got me right in the feels. A gentleman and a class act until the very last.

The outpouring of goodwill after the announcement has reminded me how proud I was to have someone as unique and progressive as him as our manager in those early days. I loved that he was the antithesis of Fergie and the old guard. It’s ironic that his unwillingness / inability to adapt to the modern game has seen us fall behind.

History will be very kind to him I think. I know people laugh about the ‘top four trophy’ but United’s struggles post-Fergie have drilled home just how difficult it is to stay at the top. We never quite got there in the league but to maintain that level of consistency during the stadium move is not to be sniffed at, especially given the emergence of Chelsea / City.

I’d love to see him manage elsewhere and do well.

Biggy Shackleton

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:04 pm

I'm glad he announced it and gave himself the last few games for the fans to show their appreciation.

I'm sure even the ArsenalTV guys, (Troopz or whatever,) on youtube will now come out and wish him well, all along they'd always quantified their annoyance by acknowledging all he'd done.

And history should be kind. Too much has been made in recent years of that fact that it was only 3 league titles, and nothing in Europe.... but 7 FA Cups is incredible, and over time will start to carry the weight it should.

Far more deserving of a statue than Henry.

Wonder will he manager elsewhere. I'd say he'll die without the job.

Biggy Shackleton

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Shatners Bassoon wrote:I loved that he was the antithesis of Fergie and the old guard
Just on this, what did Ferguson represent to you so? Non-progressive? A manger who bought success?

I'm no fan of Fergie, and never was all that much, just curious.

Shatners Bassoon

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:56 am

I didn't mean it as a slight on Fergie's abilities at all. Moreso a comment on how perfect an adversary Wenger was at that time, even down to the way he looked. I loved that narrative - the aloof French intellectual against the belligerent working class Scott. I loved how much our success needled Fergie. You could tell how much he hated the press fawning over Wenger and his methods. As a lone Arsenal fan among a sea of United and Liverpool supporters in school I loved that he gave us an identity so far removed from the traditional view of the club.

To me Fergie was the archetypal British manager. A ruthless authoritarian and a brilliant motivator. I wouldn't necessarily call him non-progressive but he was pragmatic in a manner which Wenger largely refused to be and was ultra-successful for it. Wenger never focused on the opposition. There was a romanticism to him letting the likes of the invincibles go out and express themselves while United teams tried to boot them off the park but it became a major flaw as the standard of players dropped.

I wouldn't ever say Ferguson just bought success but there's no doubt the money helped. I do think it's genuinely difficult to compare Wenger's achievements to other managers given the circumstances. It does him a disservice to quantify his success purely on the basis of the trophies won. Quite apart from having the ambition to build the new stadium, to willingly restrict yourself financially in the long term interests of the club in an era when big spending was becoming a necessity is incredible really. The guy could have managed anywhere in the world but he stayed with us.

That's not at all to say that mistakes weren't made and we certainly should have won at least one more title over those years imo but the reality is that besides Leicester, only the big spenders win the league. It's not impossible to buck that trend but it's very difficult - ask Klopp and Pochettino. Despite all the madness over the last few years, I won't be jealous of Liverpool or Spurs until they start winning trophies. We were doing the 'entertaining nearly men' thing a decade ago.

snips

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:02 pm

Biggy Shackleton wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:39 pm
I really like Herrera too. Works his ass off, has a real eye for a pass, positionally excellent and loves a tackle. And he's a dab hand at the dark arts too

That midfield trio should be Utd's first choice. Matic and Herrera with Pogba in front.
Bit late but fuck Herrera with every fibre of my being. Such an absolute little cunt.

Rob

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:45 pm

i think i hated him so much for a while to the point of appreciating his bastardry

Fred__Elliott

Wed May 02, 2018 9:24 am

he's our cunt

bartleby

Wed May 02, 2018 2:19 pm

Jesus, yer man Infantino is just all about the money for Fifa

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/05 ... world-cup/

Eucrid

Wed May 02, 2018 3:08 pm

They'll spoil the real world cup with shite like that. Money in the game is getting out of hand.