The Footie Thread 2014/15

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
Yeah most likely twitter mentions

Thought Tuesday would have been associated with Stoke
maradara

TBf that Stoke one is brilliant.
Eucrid

Its actually mentions on r/soccer rather than twitter, so a wide audience but not as wide as twitter
Fred__Elliott

James Rodríguez gone to Bayern on a 2 year loan.
billysexcrime

thank christ for that
Fred__Elliott

didn't fancy him? do you fancy Perisic or someone else?

I've no idea what to think of James for the prices floated around

I'd imagine Douglas Costa to Juve on a 2 year loan will wrap up in the next couple days too
Rob

Dont think Perisic is an upgrade on anything we have. Dont think James is much better, and definitely dont think he'd be cut out for the premier league
Fred__Elliott

If Everton sign Sigurdsson, that'll be north of £200m Koeman will have spent since he's arrived. Any reckon the media will be expecting him to win the league? Will he be under the same scrutiny as Pep or Jose? Will they even be expected to break the top 4?
Fred__Elliott

Nope nope and nope.
billysexcrime

Fred__Elliott wrote:If Everton sign Sigurdsson, that'll be north of £200m Koeman will have spent since he's arrived. Any reckon the media will be expecting him to win the league? Will he be under the same scrutiny as Pep or Jose? Will they even be expected to break the top 4?

Should he be?
Eucrid

Eucrid wrote:
Fred__Elliott wrote:If Everton sign Sigurdsson, that'll be north of £200m Koeman will have spent since he's arrived. Any reckon the media will be expecting him to win the league? Will he be under the same scrutiny as Pep or Jose? Will they even be expected to break the top 4?

Should he be?

Not win the league, He should be expected to at least get 4th spending that kind of money, I don't think he will be though, I think they'll consider everyone finishing 7th and maybe challenging as a successful season.
Fred__Elliott

Morata might be going to Milan for £65m
Fred__Elliott

Fred__Elliott wrote:
Eucrid wrote:

Should he be?

Not win the league, He should be expected to at least get 4th spending that kind of money, I don't think he will be though, I think they'll consider everyone finishing 7th and maybe challenging as a successful season.

They're still way behind in wages though. Its all well and good spending money on players, especially while shipping out plenty too, but your wage bill is more of a determining factor in league position and usually points more to the quality of your squad. There are exceptions like Spurs doing well under Pochetino or Leicester winning the league but they are exceptions. Sure Everton could maybe be one of those exceptions but it would seem a bit short sighted for Everton to expect their manager to secure CL as minimum requirement.
Eucrid

true, the expectation internally might not be that high, I'm just interested to see the media scrutiny he will be under compared to Pep and Jose after spending similar amounts in the same window.

Plus I just down like Koeman
Fred__Elliott

Fred__Elliott wrote:true, the expectation internally might not be that high, I'm just interested to see the media scrutiny he will be under compared to Pep and Jose after spending similar amounts in the same window.

He's not starting from the same base as either manager though
eventSecurity

eventSecurity wrote:
Fred__Elliott wrote:true, the expectation internally might not be that high, I'm just interested to see the media scrutiny he will be under compared to Pep and Jose after spending similar amounts in the same window.

He's not starting from the same base as either manager though

yeah I said that
Fred__Elliott

didn't see any of that star sixes tournament, but it looked class
great to see the legends
maradara

Keita chase might well be done with. RBL explicitly saying they rejected €75m/£66m bid from Liverpool. Only ever expected Liverpool to go as far as 60-65m.

Fair play to RBL. Making themselves look big time
Rob

Its just the market. Latest reports are that Monaco want €80m for Lemar.
Eucrid

Its the market for Prem teams anyway

Bonucci going to Milan for £35m, no way City or Chelsea would have got him that cheap.

Lots of journos reporting that European clubs are just not budging on prices with Prem teams, Perisic being case in point. United initially offered £35m, Inter havent budged from 48, and United last offer was 44/45
Fred__Elliott

PreviousNext

Return to The Electric Picnic