TV Show Discussion Thread

The main forum where you can talk about the festival - from the line-ups to camping advice and everything in between. Also forum for generally chatting and talking about things.
just finished Legion last night.

such a cool show. loved everything about it
User avatar
mooch
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Location: in your tummy

It was so good.
User avatar
Eucrid
 
Posts: 5715
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:43 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

it was so well cast, everyone was brilliant

i'm sad i've none left to watch
User avatar
mooch
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Location: in your tummy

What day does Better Call Saul leak? I've no Netflix. Just getting around to episode 1 now
User avatar
Casino
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Pimped out at the party pit

I think it Airs Monday nights in the states, so available on tuesdays

Veep and The Leftovers are both back. And Guerrilla just started. And Girls just ended
Rob
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

OK thought so. Episode 1 was good
User avatar
Casino
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Pimped out at the party pit

Girls
I mistakenly thought there were only 8 episodes in this season. Caught up with the remaining two last night.
Strange having Marnie so present in the end, though she's less hateful than usual in the final episode, still a gowl. I think the finale is pretty true to Hannah, motherhood hasn't suddenly fixed all of her insecurities and childishness. As per usual, Hannah's mom steals the show.

I'm not heartbroken that the series is over but I think they did a fine job with the last season. Read Dunham mention something about a possible Girls movie in the future. Not sure if that's wise.
User avatar
i_ate_cats
 
Posts: 1456
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:31 pm

watched first 3 episodes of billions on a plane the other day and it is one of the worst gosh darn freaking shows i've seen in some time.

such smug writing & every single character is hateful.

if I had watched any more it would have put me off lewis and giamatti for life, it's already done some damage.

btw, was it just the version I watched on the plane or do they really say gosh darn and freaking quite regularly?
User avatar
eric the beard
 
Posts: 6884
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:58 pm
Location: That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast

i_ate_cats wrote:Girls
I mistakenly thought there were only 8 episodes in this season. Caught up with the remaining two last night.
Strange having Marnie so present in the end, though she's less hateful than usual in the final episode, still a gowl. I think the finale is pretty true to Hannah, motherhood hasn't suddenly fixed all of her insecurities and childishness. As per usual, Hannah's mom steals the show.

I'm not heartbroken that the series is over but I think they did a fine job with the last season. Read Dunham mention something about a possible Girls movie in the future. Not sure if that's wise.


All of them are still terrible. Hannahs Ma included. I get from a TV perspective people might have wanted to see Hannah get called out by her Ma for being a whiney fucker but in reality she just had a baby and its not a good time to lay some hard truths on a new mother.


Fucking awful finale though. I hated it.
I'd say if you've no children you probably shouldn't make your finale about coming to grips with motherhood.
User avatar
Eucrid
 
Posts: 5715
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:43 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

eric the beard wrote:watched first 3 episodes of billions on a plane the other day and it is one of the worst gosh darn freaking shows i've seen in some time.

such smug writing & every single character is hateful.

if I had watched any more it would have put me off lewis and giamatti for life, it's already done some damage.

btw, was it just the version I watched on the plane or do they really say gosh darn and freaking quite regularly?

I couldnt make it past the first episode, which I know is too early to judge a show properly, but it just felt so contrived with Giamattis wife working for Damien Lewis character that I decided not to go any further with it.
User avatar
LordPercy
 
Posts: 2397
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:36 pm
Location: Ranking Profit and Ignorance

I hated the Girls finale. It's usually quite a clever show and I sort of get why they did what they did but the whole coming to grips with motherhood, breastfeeding thing has sort of been done to death

In fact, had it ended on the penultimate episode, it would have been perfect
Lola
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Behind You

I'd proper lolled when the Dad suggested the name Grover.

Couldn't believe it when the finale came around and that was the babies name
Rob
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

LordPercy wrote:
eric the beard wrote:watched first 3 episodes of billions on a plane the other day and it is one of the worst gosh darn freaking shows i've seen in some time.

such smug writing & every single character is hateful.

if I had watched any more it would have put me off lewis and giamatti for life, it's already done some damage.

btw, was it just the version I watched on the plane or do they really say gosh darn and freaking quite regularly?

I couldnt make it past the first episode, which I know is too early to judge a show properly, but it just felt so contrived with Giamattis wife working for Damien Lewis character that I decided not to go any further with it.


Best show on tv for me
Image
User avatar
eventSecurity
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:19 pm

Billions is OK. It's trashy, soapy nonsense but it's fairly entertaining. I'm a good bit behind though. I binged the first series so I think I'll wait and do that again.
User avatar
Eucrid
 
Posts: 5715
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:43 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

finished 13 reasons why

im just wondering what we're supposed to think about the whole Tyler and his big collection of guns thing? is there going to be a 2nd series where the story is 13 reasons why tyler shot up the school?

did he shoot alex in the head or did alex do that to himself? i got the feeling alex did it himself, especially after his father said he would get him out of appearing at the disposition. i think he was the only one of the group who wanted to be punished. they kind of made it seem like tyler was involved though, when they showed him taking Alex's picture off line.

anyway....it was a good show, bit drawn out, didn't really warm to your one hannah which didn't help. i felt there were 1 or 2 kids who shouldn't have been on the list and it was cruel of her to include them.

one thing that really bothered me was the broken stop sign. it was SO urgent that it had to be fixed as soon as it happened and when that didn't happen Jeff died, so tragic!!! but they never fixed it, still broken in present day. stupid sign
User avatar
mooch
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Location: in your tummy

13 reasons why
I've such mixed views of 13 reasons why. I'd recommend it to any teenager in school as essential viewing (bar maybe the graphic scenes). And the underlying message of the show is really important. But there was plenty that grated. Kinda wish it was 8 Reasons Why, or shorter episodes cause it really dragged in the middle

I think they did fix the stop sign. Well they put up a new one a yard behind it, so the stump of the post of the original one was still in the ground

For some of the despicable things done, I still hated Courtney the most. She looked like a 35yo teenager and always deflected any blame

It's hard to tell if all the stuff at the end was cliffhanger for a sequel, or just showing the continuing butterfly effect of everything, and how very little had been resolved.

I hated how everyone kept suggesting Clay's tape was bad. Tony telling Clay he killed Hannah, and Clay believing he'd done something wrong. When you get roared at to leave, 99% of the time, you should leave. There's gonna be a tonne of teenage boys who insist they'll help some girl who's upset when they're really not wanted, kinda missing the point of no means no.

tbf to Hannah, she sometimes admits when she made mistakes too, but she's still essentially blamed Clay for leaving, and put the final nail in her own coffin onto the councillor despite him trying to help, and her having what seemed to be a preplanned storm out for further attention. He'd asked her had Bryce done certain things and she said no, tried to pry more from her and she wouldn't share. her going in to record him meant she'd planned on him failing to save her
Rob
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Rob wrote:
tbf to Hannah, she sometimes admits when she made mistakes too, but she's still essentially blamed Clay for leaving, and put the final nail in her own coffin onto the councillor despite him trying to help, and her having what seemed to be a preplanned storm out for further attention. He'd asked her had Bryce done certain things and she said no, tried to pry more from her and she wouldn't share. her going in to record him meant she'd planned on him failing to save her[/spoiler]


i would have thought her bringing the tape in was because she knew he wouldn't help, now i cant remember exactly but was he not kinda like "ah theres nothing you can do love just get on with it" about being raped? I certainly dont remember him trying to be helpful
User avatar
stateofyouboy
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:12 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

might wanna fix that post above
yeah, there certainly was a part where he told her she was just gonna have to get past it.

She was looking for a solution and someway Bryce would be accountable for it, that he wouldn't get away with it. But that was after she refused to divulge on any of the info, or refused to bring the police into it. She didn't help herself there. He tried to pry the info, and when she didn't share, he said her only solution then is to get passed it, as tough as that may be.

Maybe I'm putting more focus on that she seemed to want Bryce punished ahead of actual counselling for her own trauma.
Rob
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Review is only 3 episodes this season. :(

Gutted
User avatar
i_ate_cats
 
Posts: 1456
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:31 pm

Yeah that totally caught me out.

Watching Lovesick aka Scrotal Recall on Netflix at the moment. Really enjoying it.
User avatar
Eucrid
 
Posts: 5715
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:43 am
Location: Alpha Centauri

Previous

Return to The Electric Picnic

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
cron